Monday, March 24, 2014

pro-choice but anti-abortion


I saw a bumper sticker the other day that was supportive of anti-abortion. I always find these stickers bordering on the quite-offensive. To anybody. Too many graphic images and successful efforts of inducing disturbing thoughts. I know this is on purpose. We want to save another sweet life. (There is no question as to WHEN it becomes a child. That happens at conception…we shouldn’t try to fool ourselves into thinking otherwise.) But. If we are sending messages out to the world for good, shouldn’t we be making sure that it’s conducive to spreading Knowledge, Truth AND Peace? I know the authors of these stickers are diligently trying to make a difference in our world by saving one more baby. I give thanks for that. But no one says that they have to be mean about it. The bumper sticker I saw the other day was Kind. Thoughtful and Decent. And of course I can’t remember it, but it said something to the effect of,

"Don't let me go. Hold my hand instead,"
with a tiny image of a newborn. These are words a sweet soul might whisper into her mother’s ear during that difficult time of decision making. That made sense. I didn’t take offense.

I could not choose abortion. But I also feel very strongly that the government has no business deciding a woman’s extremely personal decision for her. If abortion was illegal, we know that women all over the world would still find a way to abort it if she really wanted to. It wouldn’t stop it from happening. I don’t think it’s up to us to make her feel bad about her decision, either. I’m pretty sure she feels bad already. Remember the “no judging” clause? So I refuse to judge a woman on her decisions. (I would definitely feel like judging whoever invented the idea of abortion. I can only imagine the public outcry when it first emerged.)

An unwanted pregnancy can definitely be a negative, for many. But adoption would make so much more sense out of it, for everyone. It could be turned into a positive. First by not aborting and second by giving a family a child they’ve been waiting on for more than the brief nine months that it takes to carry one. Either way, this decision is going to be so hard for any woman, but something very good can come out of it if the baby is saved.
      
        1)   Someone will gain a cute little family member
       2)  The biological mom will have the opportunity in about 18 years, to meet their kindred little one, all grown up and wondering about her, too.
       3)  You get to keep your Choice; yours. Will I one day see my child, or won’t I? When a baby is adopted out, the birth mother has more and more say-so over how they want to hand over their child.
  
     "I want contact.   I don’t want contact.  I want to know their name.  I want to know where they live.   I don’t.   I want to be able to get in touch with them when they are of age.     I don’t."
Don’t sever choices. If a child is aborted, all of those future choices will disappear with the baby.

Yes, we want fewer abortions in the world. But keep the government and the cruel thoughts out of it. Keep the Kindness in all of our decisions. Kindness towards girls and woman with difficult decisions that lay ahead. Kindness towards a child that was meant to be. Kindness to spread the word. And the Love. Share the LOVE.  ~~~Katherine A. Rayne~~~  www.backtobeingawoman~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment